10 Design Elements And Principles For Visual Design
As a beginner, it is likely to have too much of head-stretching while getting started with any design project. However, understanding the primary design elements and principles is what that brings standard and quality to any web design. Here, I discuss few major elements and principles that can be incorporated by designers to achieve stunning visual design experience.
- Line:- Lines in designing can be represented in two ways i.e. the linear marks made with a pen and brush or the edge created when two shapes meet.
- Helps Direct Your Eyes
- Provides A Sense Of Movement
- Creates Emphasis
- Shapes:- Any geometrical shape, area or organic form that can be perceived. Shapes often describe individual elements or specific information on the website.
- Color:- Colors possess much importance in terms of emotion and feel of the website.
- Used to create ideas, convey messages and invoke feelings
- Create a strong pallette, use right color process and make use of color theory
- Texture:- Texture is the surface quality of a shape i.e. rough, smooth or hard. It can be physical (perceptible) or visual.
- Provides tactility to design
- Provides depth to the design
- It should be used sparingly and intentionally
- Value:- It represents how dark or light a color is. It can also be altered as per the design requirement. Through specific values, one can adjust the transparency of the image as well.
- Contrast:- Contrast can be defined as the degree of difference between two elements of your design.The primary contrast in a design should be located at the center of interest. However, too much of contrast scattered throughout that can destroy the unity.
- Typography:- Typography is very powerful text tool that can do wonders for your design. It can help enhance your design in a number of ways:-
- Interesting Design
- Clear Visual Hierarchy And Progression
- Hierarchy:- Keeping the most important information on the top and least important at the bottom is one of the major visual design principles.
- Hierarchy of information is not limited to the text but it can also be implemented to the images and other elements as well.
- A favorable design content must be highlighted
- Rules:- Some of the designers tend to go behind specific rules while some of them believe in their own creative rules. However, designing can be carried out in either of the ways. Specific rules and standards might be helpful for beginners while professionals can trust their intelligence and creativity.
- Composition:- Composition in the visual design refers to the effective implementation of all the previous 9 elements that we have discussed so far. One can use scale, repetition, typography, line, randomness, etc. to create unique, effective and suitable layouts for the better composition.
So, that’s all about the major elements and principles of visual design. Visual Design is a complicated business full of principles, tricks, and techniques, some of which you can learn from others. However, it’s more about your own interest and creativity that can bring amazing outcomes.