There is no denying the fact that the number of mobile users has surpassed the current number of desktop users. This is evident from a recent report by Google that clearly states that by the end of the year 2015, the number of Google searches made from the mobile or apps exceeds in number as compared to the desktop. This data is based on the internet usage in 10 countries, including Japan and the US. Also to mind that Google counts tablets in the category of desktops. However, they refrain themselves from providing the exact stats.
So, it is crucial for the web and mobile app designers to keep this data in mind as they proceed with their design goals. Proceeding further, let us discuss two design preferences, i.e. Responsive Web Design And Mobile Design that counts in designing a mobile or web-based website.
Responsive Website Design
The responsive web design is very well known for the ability of a single website that automatically fits the screen size of the device on which it is being viewed. This can be achieved by adapting the text, design, navigation, and method of interaction to deliver the unified comfort and usability to the mobile user as to the desktop users. This means designing a website that looks equally well on all types of devices.
- A Common Website- Responsive Design allows you to administrate your website from multiple devices with the same level of comfort and relevance.
- Flexibility:- Responsive websites are fluid. This means that the content moves freely across all the screen resolutions and multiple devices. Both the grids and the images are fluid.
- Excellent User Experience:- It is the magic of user experience that enables visitors to consume content on any website. Responsive web design is all about providing the optimal user experience no matter what devices are being used to look into the information.
- Cost Effective:- Responsive Website Design is cost-effective yet powerful in design performance.
- Easy SEO:- Such web-design can ease your SEO efforts by having all your visitors directed to the only one site no matter which device they prefer to use.
- The Single Website:- Having a single website for your company may ease your effort, but sometimes, one needs to put emphasis on the specific design and it might be difficult to achieve using responsive layouts.
- Technical:- Though Responsive Design is something that is very well known to the designers, there are still some outdated devices in use that load the responsive websites too slowly.
A Mobile Design is specifically based on the mobile device requirements, considering all the limitations and opportunities of the platform. There are a number of factors that are taken into the account while developing such websites as, the small screen size, interaction methods, and limited connection speed.
- The User Interface:- It provides best of the user experiences to the users as it is designed specifically from the perspective of a specific device.
- Performance:- Mobile-specific websites are faster as compared to the responsive one. This is also because they are evaluated on the hardware and software limitations of the device.
- Expensive:- The cost of designing a device oriented website is comparatively high as it requires the study of that device and hence, matching the designing goals based on the study.
- Local Search Benefits:- Search engines also contribute to the UX as in local search results, mobile-optimized sites have better chances to rank.
- Need of Maintenance:- One need to put efforts on the maintenance as well an alternative website has to be designed for other devices.
- Universally Incompatible:- Since mobile devices vary in segments and there are multiple specifications to each device, so in many cases, it becomes quite difficult for a mobile-based design to be compatible on all the mobile devices.
So, that’s all about the comparison between the two most common design techniques of present days. The primary thing to keep in mind is the need of your design project. Once you decide what are your objectives, it will be convenient for you to choose one of these design options.